In recent years, with the introduction of diseases and health problems in human beings, a lot of importance is given to eating healthy and nutritious food. However, not many know what exactly constitute healthy foods. Taking advantage of the need for people to go on a diet, many companies have come up with food products that promise to be healthy. However, most of them are just advertisement gimmicks, and actually, these foods are not good for one’s health. Hence, it is important for people to know about the ones that are necessary to maintain good health. Though there are lots of foods that can be defined as healthy, here we will talk about ten healthiest foods in the world. Therefore, let us take a look at those that are said to be the most beneficial for maintaining human health.
List of the Healthiest Foods
Many people are recommended to take vitamin and mineral supplements, because their diet does not fulfill their nutrient requirement. This happens due to the intake of the wrong type of foods. Healthy meals are the ultimate source of essential vitamins and minerals in the body. These essential nutrients are not only required for the body to function normally, but also help in protecting it from major diseases, like cancer, arthritis, heart diseases, eye diseases, etc. So, here is a list for men as well as women.
- Fruits: Most of us have been told by our parents that it is necessary to eat fruits everyday, from a very young age. However, many of us do not take this very seriously and indulge in fatty foods. Eating fruits regularly does have various benefits, which are necessary to stay fit. Studies have found that people who eat fruits regularly have very less chances of developing diseases, like cancer, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, etc. Among the different types of fruits, the two healthiest ones that should be included in one’s diet are berries and citrus fruits.
Berries, including raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries are high in disease-fighting antioxidants, and help in protecting the cells present in our bodies from any kind of harm or damage. These fruits, especially blueberries are said to have very less carbohydrates, and hence, are the best food for diabetic patients. Apart from this, berries also aid in improving memory. Citrus fruits are great source of vitamin C, and possess a variety of health benefits. They include oranges, lemons, grapefruit, lime, etc., and contain phytochemicals and flavonoids. Their consumption aids in lowering cholesterol, high blood pressure, and prevents the development of colon and stomach cancer. They also reduce an individual’s risk of having heart attack considerably. Apart from berries and citrus fruits, others include red grapes, apples, apricots, plums, papaya, etc.
- Vegetables: Just like fruits, it is also important that people include lots of vegetables in their daily diet. Vegetables are said to be a source of vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, and fibers, which have a number of health benefits. Experts say that everyone should eat at least five servings of vegetables everyday, as they have the ability to make our immune systems strong, and thus, protect us from innumerable diseases and health problems. Amongst the huge list of vegetables, broccoli and spinach are said to be the most important ones to maintain good health. Spinach contains calcium, vitamins A and C, magnesium, riboflavin, iron, etc., and is said to be good for one’s skin and hair. On the other hand, one can receive the nutrition of potassium, fiber, folate, etc. by consuming broccoli.
- Whole Grains: Whole grains include oatmeal, brown rice, sprouts, etc. These are rich in fiber, and hence, are necessary for easy digestion and also to avoid the problem of constipation. Oatmeal is especially helpful in keeping cholesterol under control, and subsequently preventing any kind of heart problems. Intake of high fiber foods are also said to decrease the person’s chance of developing colon cancer, diabetes, etc. Refer to this list of high fiber foods, to make your daily meals more wholesome.
- Turkey: The next thing that comes in the list is turkey. Though turkey consumption is restricted to holidays and festivals, experts are of the opinion that it should be used for regular consumption too. Turkey contains lean protein, which fulfills half of the body’s requirement for protein. It is very less in calories compared to other meat products, and is an excellent source of vitamin B6, selenium, and niacin. Its consumption is said to be good for keeping the heart healthy, and curing the problem of thyroid.
- Nuts: Nuts, especially almonds and walnuts are said to be an excellent source of omega 3 fatty acids, which keep us away from heart problems and diseases. They also possess vitamins B and E, monounsaturated fats, calcium, protein, potassium, and fiber. They are also good for preventing cancer.
- Yogurt: Yogurt that is made by curdling milk is a food that is high in protein, which helps in improving our gastrointestinal health. It helps in strengthening the immune system, and also aids in fighting infections and protecting us from a variety of infectious diseases. Apart from this, daily intake of yogurt reduces the person’s risk of developing diseases, like cholesterol, osteoporosis, high blood pressure, etc. However, one must see to it that the yogurt they are consuming is plain, low in fat as well as in sugar.
- Salmon: Salmon is a type of fish that is low in fat and high in essential nutrients, especially proteins. It also contains magnesium and vitamin B, making it a healthy food. The best advantage of consuming salmon is that it is very good for one’s heart, as it reduces a person’s risk of having heart attack and other heart problems. Apart from this, it aids in treating inflammation and for having healthy eyes, skin, and improving memory.
- Garlic: Garlic, often known as a magical bulb, is a herb that has various medicinal properties. It can be consumed in any form, be it raw, powdered, dried, cooked, or in the form of supplements, and will benefit one’s health greatly. Its most important function is reducing the level of bad cholesterol and increasing the level of good cholesterol in the body. Its nutritional properties protect the heart and prevent the development of cancer. Garlic is a necessary food for diabetics, as it helps in prevention of various diseases, like kidney disease, eye damage, etc. that may affect them.
- Wheat Germ: Wheat germ that is found in the center of the wheat grain has a high nutritional value. It is a good source of nutrients, like vitamin E, phosphorous, iron, niacin, folate, riboflavin, zinc, potassium, etc. Intake of wheat germ aids in treating muscular disorders, and also aids the body to handle stressful situations. Wheat germ can be consumed with foods, like breakfast cereals, yogurt, cottage cheese, oatmeal, etc.
- Water: The last, but not the least thing that I would like to mention here, to complete this list is water. Water performs a variety of important functions to keep the body fit and fine. It is required to keep the body hydrated, and for other purposes, like digestion, elimination, metabolism, and weight control. As it has so many advantages, it is important to consume minimum eight glasses of water everyday.
Remember that this list is not arranged chronologically according to importance, rather each food is equally crucial for a person’s health. Therefore, do not waste time, and quickly make these foods a part of your diet, and enjoy a long and healthy life.