Aerobic workouts have many health benefits. There are several benefits of aerobic exercise. It improves your breathing, makes your heart healthier, helps you in weight loss, increases your immunity, makes you look healthy and makes your skin glow. However, you should always make sure to warm up before any exercise to prevent muscle soreness.
A warm up can be of 7 to 10 minutes like mild jogging or walking. This helps in even blood circulation in the body, and prepares it for a workout. Always wear shoes which give good support to avoid any injuries, and play good high beat music to make the aerobic exercises fun. Given below are the best aerobic exercises at home.
The 5 Best Aerobic Exercises
Aerobic exercises are excellent cardiovascular exercises, which are characterized by their slow rhythm and low intensity. They are performed for a relatively longer duration, and in a manner that is conducive to improved oxygen consumption by the body. There are different types of aerobic exercises that can be performed at home.
» Skipping: All you need is a jump rope for skipping. With this form of exercise, you can burn 200 calories in 12 minutes. This exercise helps in weight loss. This workout is beneficial for all ages, and both the genders. A jump rope workout routine is perfect for someone who likes to be creative in his/her exercise routine.
» Step Aerobics: Step aerobic at home is a very popular workout. For this, you will need a step platform which can be 4 – 8 inches high. Choose a higher platform for a better workout. You can start with a basic step workout of the left and right leg. As your stamina increases, include weights to increase the intensity. There are many home videos available to get you started.
» Stair Climbing: This one is easy, and burns calories faster. A person can burn around 300 calories in 30 minutes of stair climbing.
» Dancing: Just put on some good dance music, and start dancing. This exercise will keep you in good shape. A dance session of 20 minutes helps burn 120 calories.
» Running: There are many benefits of running. If you have a treadmill at home, you can have an even more controlled workout of running, and you can monitor the calories you have burnt. Running and jogging for just 20 minutes can burn up to 90 calories.
Exercises For Specific Body Parts
For weight loss or toning of the muscles of a particular body part, read the workouts given below.
» Legs and Butt
Exercises like heel raises and squats help to tone and strengthen the calf, thigh and butt muscles. To lose weight or build muscles in the lower body, include these exercises in your routine.
Exercise: Heel raises for calves
- Stand with your feet apart. Check that they are shoulder length apart.
- Raise your body slowly, and stand on your tiptoes. Hold this posture for a few seconds.
- Do this exercise in 3 sets of 30 heel raises.
Exercise: Squats for upper thighs and butt.
- Stand with feet apart at shoulder length.
- Keep your posture straight, and lower your body in a sitting posture.
- Repeat this exercise in 2 sets with 25 squats each.
Waist exercises are easy and can be done while watching TV. People above 30 years mostly gain weight in the waist area. Use this exercise to reduce fat from your waist, and tone it up.
Exercise: Waist turns
- Take a lightweight pole or bar. Place it on your shoulder and place your arms on it.
- Keep facing straight. Now move your waist from left to right, and then right to left.
- Repeat this in 2 sets of 30 turns.
Ab crunch is one of the best weight loss abdominal exercises. With this exercise, you can reduce your belly fat. By increasing the number of sets in the below exercise, you can also build ab muscles.
Exercise: Ab crunches
- Lie down on the ground, with your legs bent and feet flat.
- Keep your neck straight and chest up. Never push from the shoulders.
- Now push your upper body to crunch.
- Start with 2 sets of 25 crunches.
Push-ups are the best exercises for the chest. This exercise is popular among men, who want to build chest muscles. Women can also use push ups to tone their breast muscles. Instead of using your feet, use your knees to balance yourself on the ground.
- Lie down on your chest with feet together, and palms flat on the ground. Keep looking straight.
- Push your body up from your chest.
- Do this exercise with 2 sets of 20 push ups.
These were the workouts, one can do at home. But it is important to design the routine according to your body. If you are a beginner, or above 50 years start with half sets of the above exercises. Women and men can follow the exact number of sets mentioned in the respective workouts. As you start building up your stamina, you can add more sets. Make sure your workout time does not exceed one and a half hour.
Some of the aerobic exercise examples while doing your household chores are:
- Rearrange your furniture; move your bed, couch, or chairs around.
- Dust your furniture, electric appliances, window sills,etc.
- Give your car a good wash.
- If you have a pet, you can play with your pet or go for a run with it.
- Sweep all the rooms, porch, garage, and corridors of your home.
- Jog around the house with your pet or children.
Another way of making an aerobic workout at home interesting is to learn a new form of dancing. Some of these forms include belly dancing and jazzercise (type of aerobics that are based on jazz dance). If you have a pool in your home, you could stay in shape with the help of water aerobics. If you get an adrenalin high from rough physical exercise forms, learn kickboxing or taebo.
So, for weight loss or maintaining your shape an aerobic workout is your best bet. Follow a good exercise routine, using the above exercises to keep your heart and body healthy.