Gluteus maximus, Gluteus medius, and Gluteus minimus are the three muscles that form the mass of flesh running from the thigh to the hip. Performing various exercises will not only help you tone your buttocks but also strengthen it. Lower back pain or difficulty while raising from a chair, climbing stairs, etc., could be experienced if these muscles become weak due to physical inactivity or excessive physical exertion. There are several effective exercises for toning the muscles of this area. Here are the steps to perform a few of these exercises at home.
Glute Workouts with Weights
Single Dumbbell Squat
Squats are considered to be one of the best exercises for glutes. You will require a heavy dumbbell to perform this exercise.
- To perform this exercise, stand in an upright position and hold the edge of the dumbbell with both the hands.
- Position your arms such that the dumbbell hangs down in between your legs, in front of your body.
- Your legs should be two feet apart. Now, keep your torso straight and bend down your body into a squat position.
- Bend down until your thighs are parallel to the floor, with your knees making a right angle.
- Come back to the starting position and do 10 more repetitions.
Reverse Dumbbell Lunges
Lunges are among the best exercises for the hamstring and glute muscles.
- To perform this exercise, you will require a pair of dumbbells. First, hold a dumbbell in each hand and stand in an upright position with shoulder-width distance between your legs.
- Step back with the right foot lowering the body, while keeping the torso upright and straight.
- Bend in such a way that the left knee is at an angle of 90 degrees to the navel.
- The right knee should almost touch the floor. Bring the right leg back to original position, and repeat the exercise with other leg.
Dumbbell Step Up
This is another exercise that targets the gluteal muscles.
- For the starting position, hold a dumbbell in each hand and stand facing the side of a flat bench or an elevated surface.
- Hold the dumbbells such that they hang at your sides.
- Now, step up on the bench by placing your left foot flat on it and then step up completely on the bench with your right foot.
- Get back on the floor with your left foot landing first.
- Perform 10 repetitions and repeat the exercise with your right foot first on the bench.
Workouts Without Weights
Lying Butt Bridge
Here are the instructions that you need to follow to perform this exercise:
- Lie down on the floor on your back.
- Keep your arms at your sides and bend your knees with your feet flat on the floor.
- Now, simply raise your buttocks off the floor.
- Do not lift your shoulders off the floor and ensure that your buttocks and back are raised above the floor.
- Hold the position for one count and repeat the exercise for 15 more times.
This exercise can also help strengthen the gluteal muscles. Here are the steps for this exercise:
- Lie down on the floor, and rest your body on your palms and knees, such that your back faces the ceiling.
- Your elbows and the lower leg (your knee to feet) should be perpendicular to the floor, while your torso and forelegs should be parallel to the floor.
- In a controlled manner, thrust your left foot backward as if you are kicking.
- Then get back to the original position. Perform 10 repetitions and repeat the same steps for other side.
This is one of the best exercises for runners that strengthens the leg muscles.
- To perform this exercise, stand near a pole or any sturdy edge.
- Stand in an upright position and grip the sturdy edge with your hands.
- Now, curl your left leg backward in such a way that the heel touches the buttocks.
- While kicking back, keep your back straight and flex your buttocks.
- Perform 15 repetitions and repeat the same for other leg.
These were some simple glute exercises for men and women.