The leg muscles are one of the most used muscles in our body. Performing various physical activities and exercises becomes easier, when you have a strong and well-toned lower body. If you wish to strengthen these muscles, you can use the leg curl machine. There are many variants of this exercise, that target the hamstrings.
Leg Curl Exercise
- Sit on the machine, with your back propped against the padded backrest and adjust the lever according to your height.
- Place your legs in such a way that the back of your lower legs is positioned over the padded leg rest.
- Keeping your back straight, hold on to the support handles on the side of the machine.
- From this starting position, pull the leg rest towards your thighs without moving your torso.
- Try to get the maximum range, and hold the position for one count, then go back to the starting position in a controlled manner.
- Exhale as you curl the legs towards your thighs, and inhale as you go back to the starting position.
- Adjust the machine according to your height and lean forward from the waist to rest your torso on the pad.
- Position your right leg so that the leg rest is on the back of your lower leg, just above the ankle.
- While positioning the front of your right leg on the machine rest, hold the side handles of the machine for stability.
- Curl your right leg towards your right thigh, and go as far as possible, without lifting the thigh from the pad.
- Hold the position for one count. Then, slowly get back to the starting position in a controlled manner.
- Exhale as you curl your leg, and inhale as you bring it down.
- Lie on your stomach on the bench, and adjust it as per your height.
- Position your legs under the leg rest so that the padded lever is on the back side of your legs, just between your calves and ankles.
- Keep your toes straight and grab the bars on side of the machine to get stability. Make sure that your torso doesn’t move when you curl your legs.
- Curl your legs towards your thighs, without lifting your upper legs from the platform.
- Exhale as your curl your legs all the way up and hold the position for one count.
- Inhale as you bring your legs down in a controlled manner to the starting position.
For doing leg curls without the machine, you can lie down on your stomach and hold an exercise ball between your legs and curl it up for a good hamstring workout. Perform the aforementioned exercises to strengthen your hamstrings and get a good lower body workout. It would be best if these exercises are initially done under the supervision of a fitness trainer.