Generally, excess fat in women is stored on their hips and thighs, whereas it is stored around the abdomen in case of men. The benefit of doing leg toning exercises is that it reduces fat around the thighs, your legs are at optimum health, and with these exercises the chances of health issues like, deep vein thrombosis, varicose veins, and spider veins are greatly reduced. You can practice leg toning exercises at home as well, all you will need to do is dedicate some time about thrice a week.
Leg Toning Exercises to Do At Home
To do these exercises, you will not require more than 20 to 25 minutes. You do not have to do these exercises everyday. It is advisable to do them every alternate day, which is about thrice a week.
Exercise # 1
We will see how to do the first leg exercise, which is lunges. This exercise works wonders for most leg muscles. If you suffer from knee problems, you will have to talk to your doctor, before you start doing this exercise.
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart.
- Take a giant step forward with your right foot and place your left foot a little away from your body.
- Slowly lower your body straight down until your right thigh is parallel to the floor and the left foot makes a right angle at the knee.
- Use your leg muscles to come back to the starting position.
- Repeat this exercise for 2 sets with 15 repetitions each.
- When you are doing this exercise, make sure the knee of the leg in front, does not go further than the ankle.
Exercise # 2
The next exercise is known as Pliès. It helps to tone the inner and outer thighs, hence it is said to be one of the best leg toning exercises for women.
- Stand with your feet a little more than shoulder-width apart.
- Take a small step out with each foot and turn your feet outward like a duck, where your toes are pointing in the opposite direction from one another.
- Place your hands on your hips or use some support, so that you do not lose balance.
- Keep your entire body straight and gently lower your body, so that there is a 90 degree angle formed with your thighs and legs, and your thighs are parallel to the floor.
- Raise back slowly and repeat the exercise for 2 sets of 15 repetitions each.
Exercise # 3
The next exercise will work the calf muscles.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart.
- Place your hands on your hips to help you balance yourself.
- Raise your body up till your toe tips and hold for 10 seconds.
- Like the other exercises, repeat this exercise for 15 counts and 2 sets.
Exercise # 4
This exercise will help in firming and shaping the buttocks and thighs. If you suffer from knee pain, you should talk to your health care professional, before you start with this exercise.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and place your hands on the chair in front of you.
- Keep your posture straight and slowly lower your torso, as though you are about to sit on a chair.
- When you go down, your knees should not go past your ankles, else you will injure yourself.
- This exercise is also to be repeated for 15 repetitions and 2 sets.
Exercise # 5
The next exercise can be included in the cardiovascular, or aerobic exercises.
- Use a step or bench, which is at least 6 inches in height, step on the bench, right leg first followed by the left leg.
- Immediately step down right leg first followed by the left leg.
- For the next iteration, step with the left leg first.
- Continue to do these step ups for 5 minutes.
With these exercises you will be able to fight the fat on your thighs. Once you have mastered these exercises, you can increase the intensity, by adding weights to them. The most important tip is to breathe well and take quick breaks (rest for 1 minute) between every two sets and every two exercises.