All of us have a problem with our body types. Some are too lean, some too large, and some, enviously just right. These body types (and their associated personality traits) have been given specific names by a prominent psychologist known as William Sheldon. Also known as somatotypes, the classifications are as follows:
- Ectomorphs: Very lean individuals who find it difficult to put on weight
- Mesomorphs: Individuals with a normal body shape and weight, who can gain and lose weight easily
- Endomorphs: Individuals on the heavier side who find it difficult to lose weight
Mesomorphs are usually considered the luckiest of the lot. Men who are mesomorphs have lean, rectangular bodies, while women who are mesomorphs have the very popular and enviable hourglass figure. This is the body type that is sported mostly by athletes and models. They gain weight in the form of fat less easily than they do muscle. In simple terms, it is easy for them to develop muscle, as they have a very active metabolism. However, if they don’t take care of their diet, over a longer time period, it is likely that they will put on weight and become prone to developing health problems that are a result of unhealthy weight gain. Here is a diet that they should follow, that will help them maintain their body shape and remain healthy.
Their body is usually genetically acquired, but can definitely change if it is not properly taken care of. Here are some simple diet tips that will keep your body healthy and in its lean and shapely form.
- The ideal diet for a mesomorph should comprise 40% carbohydrates, 30% protein, and 30% fat.
- Carbohydrates can be consumed in the form of fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. These are carbohydrates that are slowly absorbed by the body rather than simple sugars that digest quickly and leave you feeling hungry. Proteins should be consumed from lean cuts of meat, eggs, dairy, chicken, and fish such as tuna and salmon. Healthy fats are available from sources such as olive oil, flax seed oil, and nuts.
- Mesomorphs who wish to add bulk to their muscle or develop muscle mass should consume additional protein supplements such as protein powders.
- Those looking to lose weight should consume about 200-500 calories less than those required by their bodies. Online calorie calculators will be able to tell you of the exact number of calories you are meant to consume a day.
- To lose excess fat, health experts suggest the consumption of six small meals in a day rather than three large meals. These should include a balance of the aforementioned nutrients. Carbohydrates should be consumed primarily after a workout to restore energy levels and keep the metabolism going.
- Breakfast should not be skipped under any circumstance to keep fit.
Because such people usually look lean and well-toned, they fail to notice the little weight gain they may have. Therefore, this kind of weight gain usually is not motivating enough to get back into shape. However, if you are a mesomorph you must keep a track of your body. Taking your high metabolism for granted is very likely, but you must keep a watch on your weight and your body.
Along with a healthy diet, exercise is very important for mesomorphs, whether it is to lose weight or to gain muscle mass. To lose weight, cardio exercises in the form of walking, jogging, running, swimming, cycling, aerobics, etc., are very important at least three to four times a week. This should be combined with strength training exercises to tone the muscles. To develop muscle mass, such people require to increase the frequency of strength training workouts under the guidance of a professional fitness trainer.
By following the mesomorph diet and a proper exercise routine, you can flaunt your beautiful genetically acquired body and will love everything about it. In essence, any body type can be made healthy and less prone to health problems by following a healthy diet and exercise routine. Even though you have high metabolism as a mesomorph, it is a good idea to consult your doctor, or a nutritionist, to understand the right diet and exercise routine for your body. This will only make the entire process healthier and safer.