In the regular exercise regime, one of the most neglected group of muscles are the muscles of the mid-section of the back. Strengthening this part of the body is necessary for easy rotation and body flexibility. These workouts would strengthen and reduce the risks of developing back problems and injuries in future. Backache is a common problem these days, while performing certain workouts can help alleviate this pain. The below listed exercises, improve the posture and strengthen the back muscles:
Bent Over Two-Dumbbell Row
This is one of the best workouts with dumbbells, however, this should not be performed by people, affected by backaches.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand such that your palms face each other.
- Bend your knees and lean your torso forward. Ensure your back is straight and the head is held up when you bend forward.
- Hold the dumbbells to hang freely in front of your body.
- Keep your torso in a stationary position and breathe out now lift the dumbbells up near your sides.
- Hold this position for a few seconds and then gently lower the dumbbells to the starting position.
Seated Cable Rows
You will require a low pulley row machine, which has a V-bar, to perform this workout.
- Sit on the machine and place your feet on the footrests, with the knees slightly bent.
- Bend, lean forward, and grasp the pulley handles, however, ensure that you bend only at your waist and the back should not be rounded.
- Hold the pulley handles such that your palms face each other.
- Now, keep your back straight and pull the handles towards your body simultaneously lean back. Your torso would now appear to be perpendicular to the floor, while the handles would reach your stomach.
- Then, slowly get back to the original position by extending your arms in the forward direction.
The shrugs strengthen the upper mid-section of your back. You will require an inclined bench and pair of dumbbells to perform this workout.
- Place the dumbbells towards the sides of the bench.
- Lie down on the inclined bench on your stomach.
- Pick the dumbbells in each hand and hang your arms and point them towards the floor. Your palms should face each other.
- Now, breathe out and squeeze your shoulder blades as if you are shrugging.
- Hold the contraction in the upper back for a while and then slowly inhale and get back to the original position.
This workout can relieve you from the mid-section backache. It helps to strengthen the weak muscles, which cause backache.
- Sit down on the floor with your legs completely straight.
- Place your palms flat on the floor towards your sides.
- Now, gently twist your waist and move your body towards the right side.
- When you feel a stretch in the mid-section of the back, hold the position for a few seconds and then slowly get back to the original position.
- Repeat the same on the left side.
NOTE: Prior to starting any of the aforementioned workouts, it is recommended that you consult your physician, to ensure that these workouts are safe to be practiced, especially in case of individuals with a history of backaches and injuries. Do not use heavy weight dumbbells, if you are novice at dumbbell workouts, instead, you can start with the lightweight dumbbells.