Planet Fitness was founded in the year 1992, by Michael Grondahl. He took over a previously established gym that was financially struggling. He reduced the fees to compete with the other well-known gym brands. This low cost business model is focused on the first time users, rather than more experienced members. Planet Fitness started franchising in 2003, and now has a chain of over 300 clubs for fitness training in 31 states, with a membership base, which is nearing 2 million.
- Planet Fitness has a basic membership plan, which is under USD 10 for a month.
- The USD 10 membership is basic, but if you want some more facilities, then you can opt for the USD 19.95 monthly membership.
- In this plan, one can use the tanning beds and massage chairs.
- After signing up for their membership, you get a styling T-shirt and a purple pen for free.
- The sign-up fee is USD 49.
- The club also serves pizzas and bagels once a month.
- They are going to introduce an annual gym membership fee for USD 39, which will start around June 2011.
- Planet Fitness doesn’t ask you to sign up for an annual membership. If you don’t like the provided facilities, you can quit it from the next month.
- This gym has all the necessary fitness equipment for exercising that one needs. Numerous cardio machines like treadmills and elliptical trainers are also used. They have dumbbells and machines for weight training.
- It is also called a ‘no frills gym’, which means it is perfect for people who are not looking for additional facilities like a pool, racquetball club, or other fitness classes.
- It is aimed at new members, and is famous for its ‘no judgment zone’.
- All the equipment is catered to the first time users to perform the gym workouts. Hence no bodybuilders or muscled people will be mocking at the lack of gym prowess of the new users.
- They also have plenty of TV’s, and one can continue running and jogging on the treadmill, while watching their favorite TV shows.
- The club has a juice bar where smoothies and other bottled drinks are sold.
- In a small area, clothes and other products like belts and gloves are sold.
- There was a controversy because of a New York Times news stating the public cancellation of a patron’s membership at their Wappingers Falls. However, this resulted in the club calling the police for investigation and for questioning this member. A lawsuit for defamation on part of the ex-member was filled, and this was finally settled for an undisclosed amount.
- Planet Fitness doesn’t offer any personal training. However, there are three free classes that a member can attend. The classes are about how to use the machines, and to do the exercises.
- The customer service reviews by many users are not positive.
If you are looking for a fancy place, which has excellent service and offers good personal training, this gym is not for you. However, if you are looking for a way to lose weight fast or be fit, then Planet Fitness has all the equipment and facilities at an unbelievably low monthly membership.