Who wouldn’t want a pair of nice well-toned yet large triceps? One cannot discount the importance of the impact which large, well-toned triceps have on the overall look of a person. So, if your chest and biceps are developed and your triceps aren’t all that big, you’re not going to look that good, would you?
Before you try any of the workouts given below, it’s important that you know that these workouts are NOT for beginners. They ought to be tried only by people who have been working out for at least 2 years. They are of a higher difficulty level, and hence are not for everyone. So, do not do them if you’re a beginner.
» Close Grip Push-ups
- Always start with a warm-up. Close grip push-ups are an ideal form of warming up the triceps.
- For this exercise, you have to position yourself in the normal push-up position, but just keep your hands closer to each other.
- Then do the regular push-up motion.
- While you do it, make sure that you feel the pressure on your triceps and on your shoulders.
- Do this exercise as a warm-up along, with the normal stretches.
- You can do this exercise in 2 sets of 15 reps each.
» Lying Triceps Extensions
- You should do this exercise in the presence of a qualified trainer, so that you do not end up injuring yourself.
- Here you have to lie on a flat bench.
- Lift a barbell with a close-grip.
- Then bend your hands around the elbow, and then up.
- Bend it down till you almost touch your forehead.
- Hold this position for about 3 seconds before you lift your arms up.
- You can do this exercise in 4 sets of 10 reps each.
» Triceps Dips
- For this exercise, you need two raised surfaces of a similar height.
- You can use two bench-press benches in your gym.
- Keep your feet on one bench, and with your butt facing downwards, keep your palms, facing forward, on the other bench.
- You should now be suspended in the air with only your feet and palms supporting you.
- Now you go down as low as you can, hold the position for 3 seconds, and raise yourself back up in the air.
- If you find this exercise easy, then keep some extra weight on your lap, and do the same exercise.
- Same format follows, 4 sets of 10 reps each.
» Close-Grip Press
- This exercise is quite similar to the normal bench press, but you are supposed to grip the barbell in a close grip.
- Lie down on your back on then bench, and then do the normal motion which you would do for bench press with barbells.
- When you bring your hands down, hold the position for 3 seconds before pushing yourself up.
- 4 sets of 10 reps each.
» Standing Extensions
- Here, you have to stand with your legs at a distance, equal to the width of your shoulders.
- Then you hold one dumbbell with both your hands, and bring your hands down from behind your head, down to your neck level.
- Then lift the dumbbell up by moving only your elbows.
- Make sure you keep the elbows as close to your head as you can, for maximum pressure.
- The same format again – 4 sets of 10 reps each.
- And the last of the tricep workouts for mass is the tricep kickbacks.
- Here you have to first lie with your left hand and left knee resting on a bench.
- Keep a dumbbell in your right hand with your elbow bent, positioned near your back.
- Then extend your elbow up till your hand is parallel to the ground.
- Hold the position for 3 seconds, before bringing it down.
- 4 sets of 10 reps for both hands.
You can design your exercise programs in such a way that you do three of these on one day, and the other three on another day. Make sure these days are not one after the other! The important part of increasing muscle mass and bodybuilding is following a good diet that is rich in proteins. So, make sure you get the daily requirement of proteins.