Before deciding what you should, and shouldn’t, eat when you are dieting, there are certain things you need to keep in mind. While weight loss largely depends on what you eat, some of it also depends on your mindset. You should be determined to lose weight, otherwise no matter what or how you eat, you are not going to experience positive results very easily.
Adopting a Positive Mindset when Dieting
Your thoughts transform into actions when you diet, and that is what makes all the difference. Unless you are confident that what you are doing is best for you, you cannot expect to see results. Do not starve yourself in order to lose weight. Remember, you have to eat to lose weight in a healthy way. What you eat, then, becomes more important. In short, a diet requires your mind to be ready, before your body is ready. You shouldn’t have a doubt about the effectiveness of a particular diet when you try it out.
A diet that suits your lifestyle is the one that is best for you. Remember that only eating and not working out is not going to be effective. Your body needs some kind of activity to be able to burn the calories more effectively. Don’t deny yourself your favorite foods. Moderation is the key, when it comes to following any diet. The diet should contain foods that will make you feel full for longer; however, you should not restrict to only vegetables. It takes time for your body time to get used to a diet, hence you should slowly introduce the changes in your diet. Do not start a diet suddenly, this will make you feel miserable and hungry. Take a slow and steady approach for effective and maintainable weight loss.
What Foods to Eat When Dieting
While dieting, you need to eat healthy foods that will keep you fuller for longer. Also, avoid skipping meals, particularly breakfast. It is the most important meal of the day, and it gives you energy to keep you functioning efficiently throughout. Here’s a list of various foods that are good for the body while dieting.
- Whole Grain Foods: Foods with complex carbohydrates remain in the body for longer, and keep you full. Such foods include brown rice, oats, barley, and quinoa. Opt for cereals that provide whole grains, as they are great for breakfast too. Don’t frown upon your oats porridge, they are very healthy.
- Protein Rich Foods: Most Americans get a lot of protein because of the consumption of various types of meat. As healthy as that is, they also carry a lot of cholesterol and fat. Hence, choose proteins such as chicken, fish, or turkey (that you can enjoy grilled or steamed). Also, black beans, garbanzo beans, lentils, soy beans, and tofu are great options for vegetarians. Proteins provide the necessary energy to keep the body functioning, so make sure that you include such foods in your diet. Also, a handful of nuts such as almonds, walnuts, pistachios, and pecans are a great inclusion in your diet, and they are a great source of protein.
- Vegetables: Make sure you include leafy greens, carrots, broccoli, sweet potato, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, and primarily any vegetable you enjoy in your diet. You can also enjoy potatoes, but not in fried or creamy mashed forms. Have them boiled, and you will get more nutrition from them. Make a salad with your favorite vegetables, include them in a nutrition-packed soup, or have them as a snack with a dip such as hummus or salsa.
- Fruits: Apples, bananas, berries, oranges, watermelons, cantaloupes, papayas, peaches, apricots, kiwis, etc., are all delicious fruits you can enjoy for a snack. Some health experts suggest eating a bowl of fruit before a meal keeps you form eating too much. Try to avoid eating fruits at night, as they don’t get digested very easily at those hours.
- Dairy: A lot of people give up dairy in the hope of losing weight. However, you end up losing an important nutrient in the process, that is calcium. One must consume low-fat and unflavored varieties of yogurt, milk, and cheese, so that you get your necessary nutrition.
- Oils: Healthy oils have healthy fats that are needed by the body for growth and development. So, stick to olive oil and canola oil in order to get healthy fats in your diet. You can’t cook with olive oil, but it can easily be drizzled on steaming piece of grilled fish, or on salad for flavor.
Combine the aforementioned foods to come up with delicious preparations that you will enjoy on a diet. Grilled burgers on whole-wheat buns, a turkey sub prepared with lots of greens, little dressing, and whole wheat bread, air-popped lightly salted popcorn, a bowl of yogurt with berries, a clear soup with your favorite flavors, etc., are all great ideas.
Finally, keep the salt and sugar consumption at the minimum, avoid caffeine rich drinks (drink green tea instead), and drink lots of water for effective weight loss. In this way, you will not only lose weight slowly, you will find yourself more positive and energetic. The whole purpose of a diet is to make you fit, not unhealthy. Enjoy every meal you consume and think of it as a treat for your body.